Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mardi Gras 2005 ~ Planting the Seed

My friend J decided to throw a Mardi Gras party for the friends she made while working on the Kerry campaign. The election was long over, she was moving away soon, and she wanted a reunion of sorts. This meant:

1. I'd know some of the people at the party, and
2. This is a costume opportunity.

Other than that skirt, I had never done Halloween or Purim or any other fancy dress event.

On the phone, we spoke a bit about costume ~ I said I didn't know what to wear. Yes I was fishing. I wanted her to come up with the idea. I found reasons to reject each of her suggestions until she said "you said you have nice legs ~ wear a skirt". I had forgotten saying that, but I'm often making clothes or CD jokes. No-one ever takes me seriously and I have a bit of fun too. I said "maybe I will" and left it there. I thought it interesting that she even remembered that comment.

I spent a lot of time agonising over what to do. Dressing was scary enough ~ dressing in front of my friends was borderline terrifying. I had been out only once before, definitely not in front of friends. I couldn't decide if I would just wear a skirt (like that Halloween outing), skip it altogether, do the full makeover, or do something else. I used a makeup lady to help me when I went out previously. I started contacting women I'd talked to for the other time out, and placed another Craigslist ad looking for assistance. Just in case I decided to go for it. But I probably wouldn't. I mean... in front of friends!

1 comment:

  1. Meg
    I am currently going through similar conniptions. In some years I have had the maternal pass to go out on Halloween. This year we have a long distance wedding to attend so Halloween is not going to happen.

    I did get notice of a pre-Thanksgiving benefit masquarade gala. I will know everyone there...or more on point everyone there will know me.

    Of course I have not yet summoned up the courage to even mention the event to my wife. Part of the reason is that she will know I will want to go en femme and I will know that the potential for a wholescale outing cannot even be remotely risked.

    I put the odds of me attending this event en femme at less than 10% but mentally wrestling with the possibilities is interesting.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!