Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Spiritual Meg, Part III

Ready for church
I was surprised too.  I didn't expect to go out again that soon.

A little background is in order.

Saturday, I went for a walk (in drab ~ I just wanted some exercise).  I walked toward a nearby shopping centre to see what they had.  Walking took about ten minutes.  I wandered around there for a short while (it was hot) and then headed back.  On the way I saw a sign for a Unitarian Universalist church, very close by.

I've been a bit curious about UU and when I got back to the house I looked at their website.  I found a reference to Sunday's service:

“Moving Beyond the Isolated Self.” Shakespeare gave the advice “This above all: to thine own self be true.”  Discovery of self is an important part of being fully human, and imperative for interacting in the world.  How do we know ourselves, and be true to ourselves, in relationship with others different from us?  That is the religious question for the 21st century.

The psychology bit that's stuck in my brain right now is my wife's comment ("how can you love someone when you don't love yourself") and my response ("how can I love myself if I can't be myself?") meshed beautifully with that little blurb.

I decided Meg needed to attend the service.

I also decided that, since the website suggested dress anywhere from weekend casual to business casual ("wear what you're comfortable in") I'd go with a top and skirt.

Blouse detail
I spent the next hour or so choosing an outfit.

It took a while just to get to the "finalists."  Since I don't wear dressy tops and skirts often, I had many I had never worn and I wanted to try every one of them!  Some tops were pullover, some button-down (dressier, right?).  I chose sleeve lengths from long to cap (my body hair is still somewhat under control).  Skirts were short, knee length, mid calf.

A female friend helpfully whittled that down to just 20 possible combinations!  Sunday morning, I "modelled" each of the 4 skirts and 5 tops that made up most of her outfit choices, and asked again.  The winner is the picture at the start of this post.  I like the blouse and wanted to share the detail, hence the other picture.

At 9:55 I was ready to go.  Services were at 10, but less than a half-mile away.  I arrived in the parking lot with other worshippers, and followed an elderly couple across the gravel parking lot (they're doing construction) and the long walkway up to the main building.

3 comments:

  1. Meg,
    You look great.
    I am so glad to see you getting out, especially to religious services.
    Please share your thoughts with us.
    Also can we have more details about the female friend who has been helping with clothing selections. The two of you have done a good job.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it went well for you. I've been to the local Unitarian Church a couple times.
    They were also listed on a local website showing trans-friendly places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg,
    One way I came to terms with myself and hence came to love myself was to go to church as the female part of myself. By presenting myself in church (Catholic) en femme I was able to have an active conversation with God about why I am the way I am. He let me know that he accepted me as I am. Now my quest is to find what God wants me to do with this gift.

    Leann

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!