Friday, February 25, 2011

Father Wore Tights

This is not a remake of the 1947 musical "Mother Wore Tights," although I'd probably sit down to watch one.  If I couldn't be in it, that is.

Yesterday I had to make a trip to the College Park client.  Although I hadn't done so for a couple of years, I decided to wear hose under my pants instead of socks.

In the past, I've worn either black or taupe hose under socks.  Yesterday, I opted for tights sans socks.

Could you tell I wasn't wearing "real" socks?  If I took my shoes off, definitely.  The toe portion is much less opaque than socks.  I kept my shoes on, both at work and at home.  If I didn't take my shoes off... you could probably tell also.  The tights are shinier than socks, for one thing.  But I thought about the socks I normally wear and which are roundly ignored by all around me, and went for it.

Tights feel different under slacks.  Outside, my legs felt colder than normal.  I'm not sure why.  It felt good but colder.

I need to take advantage of the remainder of winter and do this more often.  Maybe I'll try different colours next.



1 comment:

  1. Meg
    A you may know from my comment to your 'socks' blog post, I generally wear Pantyhose under my slacks. Usually I will cover them with socks but on several occasions I have had my hose clad ankles visable should anyone care to look. With tights or opaques it is never an issue. With sheers I suppose I could have been clocked but to my knowledge this has never occurred.

    I started wearing pantyhose or tights under my slacks back in the 1970s. Back then I had a job that called for me to be outside at times and inside at other times. In the winter long johns were bulky and uncomfortable and my wife agreed that I should try wearing tights. A perfect solution.

    Since 1979 I have worked an 'office' job. Before we went 'business casual' a few years ago it was 'suits'. Wool slacks were uncomfortable, itchy and they would rub and chafe my legs and would wear out quickly in the crotch area. Pantihose were the perfect solution. The slacks would fit better, hang neater, not itch and the thigh chafe/rub was eliminated. My wife supported my wearing pantihose as an economy measure since my suits would last much, much longer. It was a shame to have to toss a suit with a perfectly usable jacket just because the crotch wore out. I also started to have the seat/crotch of the slacks lined. The lining is similar to the nylon in a slip. In warm weather I will skip the hose but still benefit from the feel of the slip material. Most of the rest of the year it is the slip material over hose on days when I need to wear a suit.

    There are truly benefits to being CD

    Pat

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!