Monday, January 12, 2015

12-13-14: Getting Started

It was cold but not horribly so on 12-13-14.  Standing in front of the Potomac River for a half-hour was tolerable, and the reward at the end made any discomfort worth it.

Our guests included the minister and her wife, and our friends Star and Pooch ~ our oldest friends in this area.  In a new look for her, Star wore a dress (over trousers).  Pooch aka Andrea, I think would self-describe as "gender fluid" and I never know how they will present.  For the wedding, Pooch went classy and wore a tuxedo.  When some joggers yelled out "congratulations" I wondered if they knew when the happy couple were.  There were options, although only one of the small group presented male.

Both manned cameras, so the minister's wife filled a most important role, for me: guest.  And I'd rather have one guest than a roomful.

The reverend, who I knew from my neighborhood was ordained as a Unitarian Universalist minister was wonderful.  Her wife (they wed last Valentine's Day) was there and she also came to the Transgender Day of Remembrance where she met Meg.  This was the minister's first encounter.

As part of the ceremony, we did a brief reading.

Virginia law does not require a witness nor anything other than a licensed officiant to pronounce us married.  Except one thing.  The officiant has to administer a "willingness" statement.  No shotgun weddings in Virginia!  At least, any more

The minister had an outline for a ceremony and she worked hard to ensure it was gender-neutral (yes same sex marriages are now legal in Virginia!).  The original wording of the willingness statement from her outline said "[Name], do you wish for this man or woman to be your spouse?"  The idea is to strike one out, but we left it as written for Charity, and struck "man or" for the query to me.

The happy brides and our minister.  Charity made the bouquets.


I didn't know the bow should face out!



15 comments:

  1. Meg

    I attended a 2 brides (GGs) wedding in November. The wedding was held outside at Fenway Park (where the Red Sox play baseball). It was so cold that is was actually snowing, and both brides were wearing flimsy knee length wedding dresses

    Steffi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steffi, I didn't even FEEL the cold. I bet the ladies didn't either.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you were in the park area in Old Town. Great site.

    So, Meg. You didn't take any of us with you shopping for your wedding dress (I recently did so for my soon-to-be step daughter in prep for her marriage), so you need to tell us all about how you got "the dress". You really look cute and happy, as does Charity.

    I'm really happy for you two - you make an excellent couple.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You called it, Rhonda. Founder's Park.

      The dress story (and a review on their website) is coming.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations again. It seems like a great day that was well planned out and went off without a hitch.
    I wish you both many years of happiness and joy.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg and Charity---Congratulations and Best Wishes.
    You both look wonderful.
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures, thank you so much!

    xoxoxo

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so pleased for you both the photos are great, you both look so happy, I also have to say that the Minister's stole is rather impressive, and it must be wonderful to now have the "Wedding" label on the list for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone ~ thank you. Tomorrow is my first memeversary. And we're still going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy for both you and Charity. Two pretty ladies declaring your love for each other. May you two have a life time of happy memories.

    -Alana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't think I didn't notice the name change Alana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I wasn't sure about a middle name for months, then this came to me. One of my Paternal Aunt's is a Jane.

      Delete
  10. Lovely pictures of 2 happy ladies. Hope you're both as happy 10 years from now as Susan and I are now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meg and Charity---Congratulations and Best Wishes.
    You both look wonderful.
    Susana

    ReplyDelete
  12. congratulations are in order.
    this was a much happier event than i had to deal with over christmas (see my last blog entry for details).
    i am sooo glad Virgina has become so progressive as i have a ts cousen there who is about my age (57) and is also single.
    once again congradulations!

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!