Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Meg Let Me Do It

I was never one for costumes.  Meg, of course, is an exception, which makes me think I don't consider that a costume.  I need to think about that more.

But last Friday, in memory of one of the greatest innovators of our time, I did "Steve Jobs drag" at work.  I wore sneakers, jeans, and a black mock turtleneck with the sleeves pushed part way up.

I bought the top a few years ago.  I was signed up to do a presentation for a group of teachers on how to teach kids to create computer games.  A couple of days before, I came up with the idea of doing the Steve Jobs ensemble.  I went to a local mall and started hitting women's shops, telling mostly the truth: I said I wanted a long sleeve black mock turtleneck I could wear.  When asked, I explained it was what Steve Jobs normally wore when he did a presentation and I was doing a tech presentation and I thought it would be fun, the salesladies were still in the dark but in the "sale's a sale" mode.

Here's the little lie: they invariably asked why I didn't look in the men's department, and I said "I did.  Nobody has one.  So here I am."

I also wore girls' jeans, socks, and sneakers on Friday.  No surprise there, except maybe to the people at work.  If they knew.

Most people in the office didn't notice what I was doing.  One guy did, and he was sending people my way without telling them why.  Most still didn't get it.  The program manager, the head guy in the office did, and I went by later and said "wait 'til you see what I have planned for Halloween."  He said "now I'm scared."

I have nothing planned, but maybe the door's open just a crack.  Even though "Steve Jobs drag" was acceptable there, I'm quite sure "office girl drag" won't be.




3 comments:

  1. I respectfully disagree. Iphones, aside, The Woz was more important to technological innovation, IMHO.

    Great story, though, Meg. I'm surprised more people didn't get it. I thought Jobs' outfit was pretty well known.

    -pp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree ~ we needed a critical mass of Steves to get Apple off the ground.

    Apple plays an amazing role, merging style, innovation, and sheer joy to technology. But whenever I think of buying Apple products, I think about how they're made and, well, it's just tough to justify.

    I'm sure lots of other products I buy are made under the same horrid conditions, since Foxcomm makes half of the technology we own, but Apple's role was brought home to me in a graphic way.

    I will now get off my soapbox before a heel gets caught in the slats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think every envelop stretch is a good thing. showing up in complete girl clothes as Steve Jobs is a good idea.
    I tend to feel a nice pressure to not waste October as a dressing opportunity. I am not sure what I will do but I am alert to any opportunities.
    Keep pressing for the 'office girl' to make an appearance.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!