Friday, May 6, 2011

Catching Up On Y'All

I'm writing this Wednesday night.  I don't know if I'm going out while in Dallas yet, but the plan is currently to go out Thursday.  Update: I actually wrote three posts yesterday.  Please enjoy them while you're visiting.

Oddly enough, other than my "underdressing" and nightgown, I haven't worn anything while I'm here.  My dress, top, and skirts are hanging in the closet where they've been all week.

I'm not sure why.  I think I have too much to do, and if I put on anything, I'll want to put on everything and I don't have time yet.  There have been some glitches at work and I've been working late each day, and then kind of collapsing in my room after a late dinner.

My headache is gone, on schedule.

Wednesday, I mentioned to Michelle that I had lied about the picture on the flash drive.  I said "it wasn't a friend.  It was me."  She did a head shake and shrug which clearly meant "I have no idea what you're talking about."

I hate when things end like that.  I had a dozen scenarios in my mind, and that was none of them.  (They ranged from "really?  Why on earth would you do that?" to "Can I see it again?  Didn't you have a bunch of pictures on there?" to "Some girlfriends and I went to a drag show a few weeks ago and we talked about how much fun it would be to dress up a guy.  Are you game?"  OK, that one's not very likely but, well, see below.

I think this is kind of typical of many of us.  We go into a panic, afraid of what people will think or say or do and they say or do... nothing.  And who cares what they think?  I haven't met anyone who can hurt me with their thoughts.  I will admit that, using the power of my mind alone, I can raise my arm anytime I want!  

I didn't bring up the "wear a dress to work day" again, although I think that would be a day I'd never call in sick for.  Maybe my next company has one.


Tonight (Wednesday), in addition to writing Friday's post (this one), I showered and did a final body shave.  I shaved in the shower, and I took a very long shower.  I just kept going.  I took off more chest hair than usual, and I did my arms up pretty high.  I can't go sleeveless but I think cap sleeves are OK.  I don't know why I did this, except it felt good.  I'm not planning to try on any clothes.  I'll go to work the tiniest bit scruffy Thursday because I get a closer shave if I have a bit more hair to shave off.  That'll be after work.  I am still planning on the mall.  My flight is mid-morning on Saturday, so I hope to write a Meg trip report before leaving Dallas.  I have my camera and I'll put it in my purse, in the hopes I can get someone to take my picture.  Maybe the jeweler, showing off my new necklace.  If not, well, I'll have some hotel photos.

Now, I have a few comments on comments.

Anonymous but not Pat (as well as Dani) suggested inviting Michelle out for a drink with Meg.  That's really tempting, but if she didn't even notice the picture....  I guess not.

Pat suggested using Meg's picture as a screensaver, but this place is locked down tight.  I have no reason to bring out my machine (and I'm trying to clean that machine out anyway!) and it's almost impossible to load anything on their machines.  I couldn't even get to a tech site I needed to go to because it was blocked because it has freeware on it (sourceforge.net for you techies)!

By the way, when I'm logged in, if I go to google anywhere the background becomes one of the Meg-at-Clinique photos.  I just enjoy seeing it come up.  It's almost as good as a glimpse of Meg when I walk past a mirror.

Penny suggested coming clean with Michelle.  Actually, that was the plan.  I was going to skip the "Halloween" canard and say "it's something I do, sometimes."  If asked if I planned to do that here, I'd say yes, I'm planning on it.

Halle suggested that going to the office as Meg sounds like the start of a TV fiction story.  I agree.  Maybe I'll start writing.  Now that I think of it, any time I plan to tell (like Michelle and the pictures) at least one scenario is a story seed.  Alas, I'm not much of a fiction writer.

And, off topic: Yes, Penny, I got to judge video games.  I've been doing that since 2008 at the state conference.  I also judge SCT once.  That's their name for their lego robotics event.  Because I have a middle schooler, I was judging high school and there were three games that I urged the authors to publish.  The middle school games are generally uninteresting.  And Dani, the TSA has chapters in 49 states and the conferences are well attended.  One downstate Virginia school has TSA membership as a requirement, and had 100 kids at the state conference.  And somehow, no-one's ever heard of it!

My kids are in 4-H as well.  And my oldest was in Future Business Leaders of America for a bit.




1 comment:

  1. They block sourceforge? That's unamerican! I'm still jealous of the video games, BTW. I'd be ashamed to tell you how much of my life I've wasted on those.

    I'm still working on that panic issue, but I seem to be more susceptible to it than most. Once my mind starts creating scenarios of what people are thinking, it doesn't tend to stop.

    You looked great, Meg. You obviously felt pretty great, too. That's a lot of writing since Wednesday night.

    Thanks for being an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!