Friday, November 19, 2010

Transgender Day of Remembrance

I plan to be at the Fairfax event commemorating the Transgender Day of Remembrance Saturday night.  I told my wife I'll be there.

Unfortunately, I won't be dressed.  Being dressed would be much much better.  It would mean being anonymous.  In drab, I'm exposed as myself.  If anyone asks, I'll tell them I'm a crossdresser and I'm here to remember those who were subject to violence because the way they presented didn't match society's norms.

Or I'll say "for the same reason Stephen Colbert stood up for illegal immigrants."  Or "maybe someday, I'll need someone to support me and my particular group."

But I'm pretty sure I'll go with full disclosure.

I'm even more sure I'll be left to myself and won't interact with anyone.  I'll come in, sit by myself, and leave at the end.

There are a lot of us out there.  I don't know who else I'll see.  I don't know who will be there dressed and recognise me while I don't recognise her.

It's something I need to do.



2 comments:

  1. Meg
    That is a strong, gracious and courageous step to take.
    A mitvah.
    Bless you.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg
    The more I read your blog the more I admire your inner strength. I also want to thank you as some of your strength has rubbed off on me; today I set up my own blog account for the first time. Believe me it took some courage.
    Many thanks, and best wishes for attending the Remembrance event.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!