Tuesday, August 2, 2011

It's Me Day!

Monday, I left work a bit early.  I'll make up the time later in the week.  I had an appointment at 1:30.

My appointment was at the nail salon I've been going to for a bit.  It used to be right next to my office, but now that I moved it's about a 15 mile trip.

It's in a mall and I was early so I looked around at a few shops before going in.  My currently-favourite manicurist, C, was ready for me.  She started by asking what I had for her.  I pulled out pictures of my latest trips out (Richmond, Arizona, Dallas, Colorado ~ all out-of-my-room shots).

She once again thinned (just a bit!) and shaped my brows, and waxed the back of my neck.  She went above-and-beyond and cleaned up my shoulders and went down my back a bit "just in case" I wear something with a lower back.

She also gave me a manicure ~ no polish, just buffing.

I then went over to get my haircut and was surprised that the stylist was wearing a very stylish dress.  I've never seen her in anything but slacks before.  I really wanted to ask her where she bought it, but I did not.  I also would have been happy to show her my pictures, but I didn't do that either.

On the way home, I went past this giant thrift shop not far from my house.  I haven't been in there in a long time so I thought I'd take a little look.  I could have spent hours in there, but I focussed on dresses only.  I saw some nice dresses, but they were all small or medium.  When I found the larges, well, they weren't at all to my liking.

My original plan was to hit the bargain shops (Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Dress Barn and the like) later in the week.  I forgot that I have to leave early on Friday as well, to go to the 4-H fair and help my son.  I'm thinking that whatever I have is what I'll be wearing next week.  I still haven't picked anything out for the swap.

I'll figure something out, I'm sure.  Maybe one of the outfits I took to Arizona.



8 comments:

  1. Your experience with thrift shops is exactly the same as mine. For some reason, the dresses that larger gals decide to dispose of are all absolutely hideous--shapeless, mid-calf length or longer, dark and drepressing colors. OTOH, I've found some terrific blouses and skirts in the local thrifts.

    Tell me, have you ever found a pair of shoes in a thrift shop? I keep seeing cute ones that I'd love to own, but I've never found anything bigger than a size 9.

    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the little thrift down the street (Joseph's Coat) I've found some 11s. Not many, but the shoes I wore at the rally in October came from there.

    The big thrift I was in has shoes above all of the racks. I didn't look closely, but I saw nothing above a 9.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly enough, after posting that this morning, today I found what I hope will be a good-looking dress at the local thrift. We'll see when I try it on tomorrow!

    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll be beautiful. Send a pic and I'll post it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK--and you have to send one of you in return!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure! Just send me the dress! :D

    And the hat. I like the hat too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hat is from, I think, Kmart. Bet you could still find one like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The huge thrift shop had a wall of hats.

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!