Thursday, June 26, 2014

Endpoint Redux: Really?

Do we really know what our (gender) endpoint or goal is?  We're all thinking humans who respond to how we feel as well as to how society feels about us and what we do.

I think society's view of women who have transitioned has evolved in the direction of acceptance partly because there's been more exposure to more new women.  I don't mean to imply that they've been embraced; I am encouraged that society is headed in that direction.

Perhaps more of us would gravitate from a chosen endpoint to a new one, if society was more accepting of one of those endpoints.

If the people around us didn't care how we dressed or accessorised, perhaps more of us would glide towards gender fluid.  Perhaps the shifting attitude towards post-op women will nudge the occasional crossdresser towards full-time.

My goal is to be where I am ~ occasional crossdresser.  It has been for quite a while.  That covers a lot of ground though ~ there are things I might consider, some permanent, some not so much.  And who knows what I'll think in, say six years?  Will my foresight be confirmed with 20-20 hindsight in the year 2020?

I'll let y'all know.




3 comments:

  1. I'm like yourself, Meg - content to be an occasional cross dresser (albeit with perpetually shaved legs and manicured hands), but definitely considering some permanent changes like laser hair removal and (in an ideal world) some work on my nose and cheekbones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that for some of us occasional CDs we are fighting the tide of normal human labeling. As Pete Seeger sang in "Little Boxes" we are all made out of ticky tacky and we all look just the same. I think that for mental convenience bold colors are what people look for. People want bold colors so they know who they are dealing with. As such there is a natural tendency to put people into little boxes. Black/White, Democrat/Republican, Liberal/Conservative, male/female.
    We are seeing a major push towards acceptance of TG people but even here I sense that the civilian population at large can comprehend the bold colors of a transitioned TS easier than a part time CD.
    The civilian has an easier time processing the concept of gay vs. straight. It is easier for them to accept the commitment of a TS as being a woman born in the body of a man.
    Those of us men who like to dress as women are harder to grasp. We are not gay. We do not want to be women. We do not all seek the same goals. We do not want to dress all the time. We do not want to shed our male lives. We may all have different endpoints.

    In many cases we ourselves are in a bit of a state of flux regarding our 'endpoint'. As such, it is hard, if not to a certain extent unrealistic, for us to expect the civilian public to understand us.

    For me I am simply hopeful that when I am out and about that people find me an acceptable individual and that they do not have their head explode trying to put me into one of those ticky tacky little boxes.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg -

    I like your attitude towards the future. Leaving open the possibility for a change in direction is very healthy. To me, it is more important that someone chooses his/her path in life, and not have others choose that path. I see that you are in full control now, and I like that....

    M

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!