Monday, May 21, 2012

Exposure Is Good

You can't get more prominent coverage than this.  This is the Sunday Washington Post page 1.  Sundays are popular for "fluff" pieces: this can be written in advance, and no reporters have to work on the weekend to produce it.  But Sundays are also good because circulation is up ~ more exposure.

In the main article it sounds like the writer is being careful to balance information with family wishes for privacy.  My balance issue here is one between wanting this information to get out with the possibility that the parents might make their child's life harder by doing so.  It's not easy for you or I to judge how much information to let out about ourselves, our family, our friends.  The stakes go up when it's a child, of course.

I applaud  Ms Dvorak.  She wrote a thoughtful article, stayed away from the journalistic balance problem that pervades reporting today, where nonsense points of view are given equal weight to factual ones.  I also applaud the parents and hope they've been reading Raising My Rainbow.

A separate article on drug options for treating transgender issues was also in the paper.  I was a bit concerned when I saw that, but it's about puberty blockers and further hormone options, not something Merck created to "cure."

The video at the start of the article can be found here, and a photo gallery is here.

In other news, The Post had this article from the Associated Press.  The long-overdue headline: A decade later, researcher apologizes for study suggesting gays can go straight with therapy

It feels like a good weekend for the community.





1 comment:

  1. A fascinating story. Actually, though, I wonder if F-to-M transgenders have an easier time of it than M-to-F transgenders. After all, the image of the tomboy is not only accepted in our culture, but actually celebrated at times. Look at characters like Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird, or Mulan in the Disney film as examples. OTOH, the effeminate male is nearly always a subject of derision. It is acceptable for a woman to want to dress or act like a man; the reverse, for the moment, is not.

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!