Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Two Score and Eighteen Years Ago

I was born.  It was early in the morning, and the first time I woke my parents up but not the last.

So...
When: 5 June 1954, 8:57 AM, although it might be 8:51 ~ it's hard to read.
Where: Beth Israel Hospital in Manhattan.  We lived in Brooklyn, but I wanted to be near my mother.
Why: people ask me this more than the above two questions.  I still lack an answer.

Nine years ago, I started a new job and was required to take a drug test.  It was scheduled for my birthday.  I mentioned to the lady who collected my sample that it was a special day.  She said "congratulations.  What are your plans for today?"  I said, "are we done?"  She said we were and I said "take drugs."

They do not have a sense of humour.

When I was born, they issued a birth certificate which is a negative copy of the actual one.  A number of years ago, when I was bored, I took a couple of stray letters from another section and altered it slightly so I now have a copy with sex listed as FEMALE instead of MALE.  Yes, the whole thing was hand-printed and in upper case. 

Who knows.  It may come in handy some day.




9 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

    Never let the sense of humor waver. It helps in all sorts of ways. Can you imagine going through life without a sense of humor?

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Here's hoping you have a happy one! Being a work day :) I hope you still get to do a least one "special " thing, like eating at that favorite restautant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, hope you spend this one with people yuo love, and who have a sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Happy Birthday to you and many more to come! May all your good dreams and fine wishes come true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a very Happy Birthday Meg!
    Hugs,
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your sense of humor. I always wanted to go throuigh screning at the airport and then say, "Ha, didn't find the gun this time, did you." Using the birth certificate: But I am a girl, it say's so right here. Just because I'm a girl it means I can't wear boy's clothes sometimes?
    If we don't laugh, we'll cry.

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!