Monday, September 19, 2011

Arizona Dull

As I wrote last week, I was sent to Arizona unexpectedly.  As I've said many times, I really like to plan and prepare before going out.  I flew out early Monday morning, flew back early Saturday morning, and brought very little Meg with me.  I spent a lot of time at work, a lot of time at my hotel working, and that was pretty much my week.  Plus, I had my slowly healing toenail.  I doubt any of Meg's shoes would fit comfortably, except for my New Balances, which I wore on my trip.

Monday evening was spent staying up too late Eastern time so I could try to get over the time zone difference.

Tuesday I went to the small mall, the only mall in town.  Last time I visited this mall, I had my nails done and I did some shopping at Dillards.   This time, I checked out the mall.  The Dillards, at one end, and Sears, at the other, are both small department stores.  The mall has one corridor and is not very long.

I spent some time in Dillards, looking at clothes.  I saw some things I really liked but they were way out of my price range.  The other stores were mostly uninteresting.  I ignored the Sears.  The Payless had only a few size 11s, and no 11Ws.  When I got back to the hotel, I noticed there is a beauty supply place right next door.  Last time, I was on the other side of the hotel and didn't see it.  It looks like of run-down.  You can't see in the front.  There's a car body shop next door.  The sign looks tacky.  I walked over when I noticed the sign said they sell wigs.  I walked up to the front door, and... closed.  It was around 7.  I noticed they were open from 8 to 6:30.  I'm gone by 8, but I can be back by 6:30.

Wednesday, I decided to head back to Dillards, with a plan.  I am a big fan of mascara.  I wanted to pick up a brown mascara, to see if I could wear it without being obvious.  I did a little research and found that Dillards had over a dozen different cosmetics companies working their stores, and of those Clinique, MAC, and Origins were the least expensive.  Each had mascara for under $20.  The others were over $20.  So I had the there counters I'd head to.

But the store was really small.  There was Clinque, and Lancome, and Arden, and that was about it.

I went to the Clinique counter.  I asked the woman why mascara seems to come in "black, very black, really really black...."  She said they have other colours.  I said I was looking for brown.  She said they have brown, but they only put out black.  Then she passed me off to another saleslady.  I asked her about mascaras, she showed me some of the varieties they have and said they have brown.  She said I could buy a mascara and a "lower lash" mascara for about $25 and then I could get their bonus gift.  I said I'd like to see one of the mascaras she liked which washed off in warm water and came in brown.

As she pulled out the mascara, I walked around to see if there was anything else I wanted ~ maybe an eye shadow.  She came out with the mascara and the lower lash mascara and said "if you want them, here they are." She didn't seem like she really wanted to help me.  She never assumed they were for me ~ she even said the bonus would make "a nice gift."

The mascara she pulled out was "dark chocolate brown" and the lower lash mascara was black-brown.  I said I was really looking for brown.  She said "well, these are brown."  I said "I'm looking for a mascara that will bring out my lashes without people saying 'he's wearing mascara.'"  She said, "well that's what it's for.  Maybe there are more colours over at Lancome."  Clearly, she was done with me.  I said "I came to Clinique because I know their prices are more reasonable."  That got a grin and a nod.  But she was still done.

I didn't buy.

I went to Lancome, to see what they had, but I knew mascara cost more than I'd want to pay.  I looked at the mascaras while waiting for a saleslady.  None showed, and I left.

I did get back to my hotel shortly after 6.  I walked over to the shop next door, planning on looking at wigs and...  I misremembered.  They're open from 8:30 until 6.  Closed.  I'll try again tomorrow.




1 comment:

  1. Meg,
    Have you seen the group on flicker
    called Business Tgirls and Women.
    There are thousands of pictures. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!