Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Simple Pleasure ~ Meg Gets Ink

(Everybody panic!  Friday the thirteenth falls on a Wednesday this month!)

The Washington Post of Saturday March 9 had a letter on the bottom of page A12.  The letter was written by one Meg Winters.

My male name has been in every section of the local newspaper ~ news, local, business, style (entertainment).  One exception: I've never been in the sports section.  I figure I could get my name in there simply by, say, punching Mike Tyson in the face.  But the story might just read Local Man Torn Into Bite Size Pieces By Mike Tyson and they won't be able to identify the remains.

Both my first and last name are spelled oddly.  I met a local Post columnist once ~ he came to a neighborhood meeting to give a talk.  I went up to him and told him my name and he responded by spelling both names back at me.  I can be a bit of a pest. :)

But now that name won't appear in the Post anymore.  The newspaper does not like pseudonyms or pen names.  They don't like the same person to appear in the letters section more than roughly twice a year.  If I wrote using my male name, I'd be cheating.  I wrote under Meg's name because the newspaper subscription is under Meg's name.

What's the simple pleasure?  Seeing Meg's name in print.  Making Meg a bit more real.  It doesn't happen every day, but sometimes she gets a bit further from just being a spectre.

Someday, perhaps I'll abandon the male name completely.  Who knows?   After all, it's just a label, after all.  Like
My letter can be found here.





4 comments:

  1. Meg -

    Abandon the male name completely? Of course, you'd be full time as Meg by then, correct?

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. That title is a tease :p. I thought for a second you'd totally gotten the Prince symbol inked onto your arm.

    Still, aren't you at all concerned that someone who knows you but doesn't know Meg-you will see the letter, the last name, the location, and put two-and-two together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, this means if you go to a town hall or political function where you might meet someone from the Post, Meg's the one who'll have to be there, right?

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!