Wednesday, April 16, 2014

This Week's SImple Pleasure

I'm back in Virginia, with sanity intact.  AND I got to spend a lot of time with my youngest.

But NO trans-stuff while in New York.  Except for my girl jeans and belt, socks, (plain white cotton) undies, and one polo shirt.  And my pajamas.

But other than that ~ nothing.

On another (non-t) note, when I was in high school, I spent every penny I could find in the couch cushions and bought a quality Canon camera (a fully manual Ftb).  In 1972 I shot a couple of rolls of slides.  In 1975, I drove cross-country and shot a dozen or so rolls of slides.  All in all, I had close to 500 that were sitting in carousels in boxes.  Although my (now 40 year old!) slide projector still works (even after sitting gathering dust for at least 20 years), I wanted them digitised.  I did some research and found a place in Oregon, Digital Photographic Service.  One big advantage: they do all the work in the good ol' US of A.  Many ship the slides overseas.  Another advantage: they're a very small company; I like doing business with small companies and his was seven members, and I think that included the dog.  Another: kicky website ~ he doesn't take himself too seriously.  Another: personal service ~ I wrote him several times, worried about my slides.  I probably seriously annoyed him, but he still responded every time.  Finally: the price was excellent.  Two bits per slide and free shipping of the return.

The slides are all hi-DPI.  One of my Grand Canyon shots is below.

Why am I telling y'all this?  I bet a lot of readers of a Certain Age (and I know from how you get the pop references I have a few contemporaries here) have boxes of photos or slides.  Dave converted mine cheaper than I could, and mine would have mostly been askew.  In fact, he did them all for less than I would have paid for a quality slide scanner.

I have quite a lot of photos too.  Dave hasn't heard the last of me. :)

click to enlarge ~ it can take it!

3 comments:

  1. Your are correct about your readers. I have a Canon Ft QL and tons of slides. Thanks for finding this place. I have been seriously considering one of the automatic slide scanners at >$2000. This sounds like a good alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gurl i loved the pic so much i stole it for my desktop background. forgive me? :) that was an amazing shot..........have anymore i can steal? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have around 500 pics from those slides. So probably 30-50 are worth keeping. :)

      Delete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!