Monday, December 1, 2014

Yay Barilla!

Last year, I read a story about Barilla pasta wherein they reported that the chairman of the company would never feature a gay or lesbian couple in an ad and "if they didn't like it they could buy something else."

I bought something else.  There are places I avoid because I disagree with their policies: Chick-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby, for example.  It's not a big hardship to buy a different brand of pasta.

Then this story appeared:

Human Rights Campaign says Barilla has turned around its policies on LGBT

Not long ago, pasta-maker Barilla was just one more major company that had run afoul of the gay rights movement, a distinction it earned last year when its chairman said he would never feature a same-sex couple in an ad. If gays didn’t like it, he added, they could eat something else.
[...]
The company’s 100 rating in the Human Rights Campaign’s annual Corporate Equality Index, which is based on internal company policies as well as corporate citizenship, is remarkable, said Deena Fidas, director of the workplace program for the Human Rights Campaign. Last year, Barilla did not even ask to be rated. Of the 781 companies that volunteered to be rated this year, fewer than half got a perfect score.

The entire Washington Post story is here; I find it fun to read the hater media stories (google news Barilla).

Barilla is not only back on the shopping list, I'll seek them out.




2 comments:

  1. Pedant is me. :-P

    I guess the word "not" was accidentally omitted from the last line, immediately before "only". :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had money, I'd hire you as my copy editor.

      Delete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!