Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Forward, Into the Past ~ Jewelry and Civilians

The roll ring: I am getting more comfortable dealing with guys as Meg, again, as long as I'm prepared for it. 

We stopped at one jewelry booth and they sold, among other items, "roll rings" ~ thin bands of silver that rolled onto your finger to form a tight shape.

I looked at those, and other rings I liked.  That took a while, but I tried on different rings and looked at styles I kind of liked but decided against, with help from the man behind the counter.  He showed me how to wear the roll rings and how to get the right size.  I rolled them on and kept them on as we were looking at other jewelry.

The salesman started a discussion with one of the women who work there and ignored us.

As we were about to leave I waved my beringed hand and said to the man "I'll just be stealing these.  Bye now."  He said "I can catch you" and I said "but I have a head start."

I paid for the rings and he shook our hands.  I didn't remember to offer my hand in a gender-appropriate manner, but I just did it properly and in retrospect, I was quite happy with that.
As I said, I also purchased a bodice.  That's a story for another day.



4 comments:

  1. Meg, it's okay to shake a guy's hand if he offers it. Isn't it, I think?

    Glad to hear that you're getting comfy on this front. I can only assume that I would have handled it okay, but I can't say that with certainty.

    And that's a cool line, "I'll just be stealing these." :)

    xoxoxo

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I did was not THINK about how to offer my hand like a lady, but I just... did it. And even though most women seem to shake hands in a gender neutral way, I think a proper hand offering is more in tune with the RenFaire.

    I'm glad he didn't try to kiss my hand. I think.

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!