Sunday, May 5, 2013

It's Herman Time!

(Holiday note:  I neglected to  mention that yesterday was Star Wars Day.  Happy belated Star Wars Day ["May the Fourth"].  And I know Cinco de Mayo is sometimes soon, but I can never remember what day.)

Many years ago, I was perusing the humour section of the local chain bookstore.  That's one thing I miss with the local stores ~ just browsing, whether it's humour books, or scifi books, or computer books (or dresses and tights and shoes).  It's just not the same on-line.

Anyway, I came across an oversize book of Jim Unger cartoons.  I opened it up.  I laughed a lot.  I bought it (something else I miss ~ bringing your latest find home with you), along with a couple of other oversize Unger books.  They had simple names like "Herman VII" and "Herman VIII" but that just told me I had some catching up to do.

Mr Unger took ill a number of years ago and retired, then he unretired and started only updating old strips so they were more timely.  Alas, all of the new cartoons are old cartoons: Mr Unger died almost a year ago.

I think this is his sixth appearance in the blog.

Here are some recent favourites:







1 comment:

  1. I miss bookstores. I'm fortunate to have a couple of terrific bookstores about a 20 minute drive from my house, but I miss the days of having a Barbara's Bookstore (great indie bookstore) within walking distance.

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!