Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Travel Day!

Yesterday, I flew out to Tucson again for a few days at Sierra Vista, AZ.  Before returning home, I'll spend a day in Tucson, yes, as Meg.  I have a couple of ideas, but I'm going to keep them to myself right now.

As usual, I not only overpacked for Meg, but I added some last-minute things as well.  To make room, I didn't bring regular camisoles for work, and I skipped one regular shirt.  I'll have to double up or buy a polo (women's?) shirt before I go home.  I also skipped on contact solution, shaving gel, and Nair.  I picked those things up in Arizona, and they'll stay here when I go home, unless I miraculously find room.

The last-minute extras included another lipgloss, some new eyeshadows, an eyeliner pencil (my old one was getting small), and my watch (yay!  I thought I misplaced it!)  This is on top of jewelry for at least three outings, lipsticks for at least four sets of lips, too much gloss, a variety of eye shadows, two pairs of shoes....  I think I need to have a locker here with an extra set of my clothes and stuff.  Maybe I can leave some things with a Tucson friend and pick everything up when I arrive here.

For one evening and one day, I have two skirts, two tops, and a dress.  Friday night, if all goes as planned, will be a dress event.  And I may check out the thrift and inexpensive clothing shops, looking for alternatives.  And maybe I'll check out Dillard's too.

I was a little nervous yesterday.  Not because I wore flowery socks, which I always do on travel days (hey, if I'm taking my shoes off I want my socks to look good!).  Not because I wore a lacy camisole under my (women's denim) shirt.

I've been wearing clear lip gloss.  Before I left the house, I put on a non-clear lip gloss.  MAC "Viva Glam V," which is close to my natural lip colour but definitely glossy.  Glossy glossy.  More glossy than what I've been wearing.  I figured, I'm on a plane with strangers.  I'm in an office I haven't been to in three months.  People will not even notice.  I checked in at my hotel before going to the office and touched up the gloss.  And I got nervous again.  I think I was nervous because I wasn't ready for what I was going to say:

major story: "It's a new chapstick thing.  I don't think I'll use THAT again!"
minor story: "Really?  Glossy?  Really?"
no story: "It's lipgloss.  I think it looks good."

I think I have to go with no story.  It's the only way I can look at myself in the mirror.  And admire my glossy lips.

By the way, nobody noticed.  So far.

I'm afraid I'm going to escalate this to the point where I'm coming to the office wearing fishnets under my pants, an unpadded bra, and lipstick, blush, and mascara.

That's a lie.  I'm not really afraid.  I'm just wondering where it's going to go from here.



2 comments:

  1. Coming from the more moist and humid north east to the desert causes my lips to chap and I find lipgloss works best. I am not a fan of chapstick. I also like lipgloss or lipstick better than chapstick when I go skiing.
    Happy trails on your trip out west.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever went to a blog called "Femulate"???
    You might find it quite interesting.
    Meg, sweetie, you are quite a woman traveling around the way you do and "dressing". You are a hero to alot of us.

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!