Friday, July 23, 2010

Part Six ~ I Hate Flying

After my walk, at 2:50, we should be 15 minutes from boarding but I don't think the airplane has landed yet. It's also raining and I can see some lightning. They just announced that the plane is here but it can't come to the gate. I'm not sure why, although I found out later.

During my stroll, I saw the United "courtesy" desk. In the past, there were nice people who would pretend to be helpful behind an actual desk. Now there are several screens where you could check your flight, change your seat, and so on, and a couple of women trying hard to not be bothered. I was tempted to check the seats, and maybe change mine if there was an empty row and I had a seatmate, but I didn't. I guess I'm not as anal as I thought I was. Or maybe I just felt like gambling ~ if I had a seatmate, fine. If not, fine. Either way, I'd be... fine.

If the flight is on schedule, it should leave at 3:34 EDT and arrive no laater than 5:30 CDT. I could get my bag by 6, get my rental car by 6:30 (you have to take a shuttle to any rental car in Kansas City), and I could be in Topeka by 8. Hunger will dictate whether I check in or eat first. The hotel has no restaurant, but there are several and a mall with a food court all within a short walk from the hotel. I had had an early breakfast, a cup of coffee in the afternoon, whatever I will drink on the plane, and it'll feel like 9:00 to me. My eyes are also getting less happy with night driving, and I'd like to avoid that if possible. I haven't tested my eyes with contacts recently, and it's been a long time since I did 12 hours of contacts. I was a bit concerned, but not very.

It's like having teeth filled while under laughing gas. You know you should be concerned but you're just having too much of a good time to really care. I was having a good time.

I did bring my glasses in my purse, and I could leave the contacts in water for a short time if I had to change. I didn't realise that I didn't bring a contact case in my purse. I didn't need it; they felt fine at the end of the day. But my eyes looked really bloodshot the next morning.

I think the plane will be late.

I wish I had cuter shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!