Thursday, July 15, 2010

Flying ~ Introduction

I always wanted to write fiction. Lacking talent, I write software instead. I don't know a lot about writing fiction, but I do know that, before the author puts a murder victim in a locked room she should know how he died.

I have a story without an exciting climax, without plot twists, and without odd characters (self excluded).

I'm left with a chronicle. I have about eight pages of prose that I'll try to put on the computer over the next several days, telling what happened Monday, when Meg went to Kansas.

Already, it's Thursday and I'm not even ready to write chapter one of this thing. I have a diversion.

Surprise!
Well, Not So Much

Yesterday, when I went out to eat, the elevator door opened and standing there was a tall woman with a border-collie-size dog. I did not expect to see a dog waiting for the elevator, but I didn't say "HOLY S%#T! A DOG"! Nor did I stare at the dog with my mouth agape. I was caught off-guard enough that it was a moment later when I thought of something to say. (The first thing was to look at the dog and say "didn't we go to school together?" which probably would have lead to a whole one-sided conversation with the pup during which the woman who was attached to the dog would either be Very Amused or Very Afraid.)

Maybe if dogs never came into hotels I would've been more surprised. Maybe guide dogs took the edge off, or maybe just being accustomed to dogs in general did that. If she had one, I might have said "HOLY S%#T! A WALLABY!"

I think that's how people reacted to Meg. They're used to seeing women in the airport, in the mall, in a restaurant ~ so they ignored me. Even if they noticed there was something not quite right (and some did), they still probably weren't as surprised as if, say, I was dressed as a lion. Or I had a real lion with me. But they were surprised enough to not think of anything clever or idiotic until it was too late.

If my transreaders are thinking "I could never go out! People will point and laugh and taunt me" I really don't think that is going to happen. Most people are wrapped up in themselves and unless something really out of the ordinary is happening, they won't notice. I look at people more than they look at me. And the people I look at are rarely looking at other people. If you dress as a woman and go where women are unexpected (model airplane show?), maybe you'll be noticed. If you wear a top hat to the beach, you'll be noticed too. If you walk down that beach holding a kite you won't be noticed. If you're carrying a harpoon, you will be.

I have a lot more confidence since my flight ~ not just in Meg, but in general. I've been talking to strangers more, having a bit more fun with other people instead of hiding in a corner. (I am a classic introvert. This is different from your shy cousin Jimmy.) Meg is not coming out this trip, but I bought those bracelets I passed by before and two belts at the local Burlington. I chatted with the checkout girl about her name and, well, we just chatted.

Tomorrow, I have to fly back to Virginia after working all day and I'll be in late. If I get some time at the airport, I'll write part one and if I get a connection, I'll upload it. If not, it'll be Saturday before I start. But I'll write a part a day, and probably be done by the end of the week.

Thank you all for sticking with me. I hope you consider it time well spent, when all is said and done.

1 comment:

  1. Although I don't go out dressed, I know what you mean about people simply not noticing anything except the truly unusual. I shop in women's stores in male attire all the time, and no one ever comments (well, I did have a clerk compliment my taste once).

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!