Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The $0.03 Opera

I admit I've been ambivalent about going out lately.  I haven't been out much since the fall and maybe

that's creating a kind of feedback loop.  Maybe I'm just resigned to having Things Get In The Way.  Maybe things getting in the way is the universe's way of telling me I have to be more out, so I don't have to plan an extra hour to dress in drab before seeing "regular" folk.
But I had tickets to the Threepenny Opera and I was psyched.  As I mentioned, theatre is a chance to dress UP, although not everyone does.  The downside of theatre is one that affects women more than men under normal circumstances: restroom crowds.  I still try to avoid people in restrooms, and lines are inevitable in theatre situations.  Everyone gets up for fifteen minutes and has to be back before Act II and I feel like, even if no-one would normally care if I was in the ladies', they might care that I was taking a spot and making them late.

I decided to wear my green dress, one which I've worn before and really like.  I added sheer hose, Mary Jane pumps, and my usual earrings, necklace, bracelet, rings.

The plan was to see the show and go to one of the many nearby restaurants for an early dinner: it was a matinee and I figured it would be over by 4pm or so.

We got to the theatre area early, which was a good thing.  My GPS didn't know the street the theatre was on.  It did understand "Signature" as a destination name, but had it placed where we saw Orlando a few weeks ago.  I knew Signature wasn't far and found the general "downtown Shirlington" area.  I also found a garage that was free, uncrowded, and about four blocks from the theatre.

Just a few yards from the garage, there was an escape attempt.  Charity's phone somehow (The Force maybe?) made her stumble on the sidewalk.  She didn't fall, but her purse flew open and her phone leapt out, obviously in a shot at freedom.  Alas, instead of landing on edge and scurrying off, it fell face down and left broken glass on the streets of Arlingon.

We still got to the theatre on time, and we sat by the bar area waiting for the doors to open.  I had my heels hooked around a metal crossbar on the chair, and when I stood up, I discovered that I need do to get out more: when I put my feet down, I forgot, completely forgot, I was wearing heels.  I felt unbalanced and wondered what I was standing on... and then I remembered.

Entering the theatre involves a series of encounters: a person scans your ticket.  Another tells you whether to go left or right (my ticket said "center" and I pointed this out and said "shouldn't I go right down the middle?"  She smiled and said "you'd think so, but you have to go that way" and pointed right again).  Then another person hands you a program and points you towards your seat.

When we got tickets, just a few days ago, the theatre was mostly sold out.  There were a couple of oases in the main area and we grabbed the last tow seats in row C.  It turns out this was a GREAT location.  Actors came down the aisle right next to us and sometimes stopped, making a spot six feet to our left part of the show.  Row C was practically on stage but you could follow the action without the tennis-match head movements to see all the action.

The show was good, the singing was excellent, the story was an update of the original and a bit darker I think.  I immediately noticed that they did an alternate translation of "The Ballad of Mack the Knife" ("Mackie Messer") and it seemed other familiar songs were changed someone to fit the new storyline as well.






1 comment:

  1. That's an excellent ensemble, you look happy relaxed and confident. Theatre gallery and concert visits are always good opportunities to "dress up a bit" and to feed the soul at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!