Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Give My Regards...

In 2005, a British comedy called "Kinky Boots" was released.  IMDB's thumbnail:

A drag queen comes to the rescue of a man who, after inheriting his father's shoe factory, needs to
diversify his product if he wants to keep the business afloat.

It's one of those films that goes on and off my radar.  I have long had a love/hate relationship with comic drag.  I'm still not sure how I feel.

I was reminded about the film when I read a WaPo review of the new broadway musical version of Kinky Boots.

The article headline didn't mention the play name but it read On Broadway, Lauper just wants to have irresistible fun.

Cyndi Lauper?  Who else could it be?

It seems she wrote the music and lyrics.  The review was good.  An AP article was pretty approving as well.  The AP review begins:

On Broadway these days, there are your typical witches, princesses and crooners. What we’ve been missing is something colorful, something brash, safe and yet a little naughty. What we’ve been missing is, of course, drag queens.

Then thank goodness for songwriter Cyndi Lauper, playwright Harvey Fierstein and the seven fierce drag queens led by a fabulous Billy Porter in the new musical “Kinky Boots.”

I think I have to save my shekels for my next trip to New York.

Lots of shekels.  Decent tickets are almost 500 shekels.  The cheap seats are over 200.  Don't bother converting: $137 for most seats, $57 for mezzanine nosebleed seats.  Add $100 for Saturday and Sunday.

sigh






2 comments:

  1. Meg -

    When you come to NYC, give me a call, and we can go to the play....

    As Cindi said - Girls just wanna have fun!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. the video's available amazon starting at $9.99 You might consider this as a way to save money! The price of tickets could mean lot in your wardrobe instead!

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!